have i told you how much i love coconut oil? i’ve used it to pop popcorn, in desserts, pancakes, pan frying plantains… and most recently, tilapia. coconut oil is good for us on the outside and inside! in addition to hair and skin care benefits, weight loss, digestion, and immunity, it tastes AWESOME. the flavor does amazing things to your dishes- both sweet and savory.
i blinked at the 7 dollar price tag (@ Whole Foods) but it’s worth it for sure.
on tonight’s dinner menu:
not just any ol’ tilapia… coconut-coated tilapia ‘pan fried’ in coconut oil. YUM. i put ‘pan-fried’ in quotes cause i definitely don’t submerge the fish in oil; i only use about 1/2 a TEASPOON. really, that’s it. long as the bottom of your pan is coated, that’s totally enough.
whala. i paired it with some steamed cauliflower (always have a side of veggies with EVERY meal!) and some kidney beans. the fish is nice and lean, and the coconut oil/flakes balances out the meal with some good, healthy fat. Sonny doesn’t even like coconut like that but ate it UP. *whew*
- 2 oz tilapia fillet
- 2 tbs coconut flakes
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp dried parsely
- 1/2 tsp Bragg’s Liquid Aminos (optional)
**did you notice there’s no egg/egg white up there? i didn’t need or use a binder this time. the coating sticks firmly to the wet fish, and it stays in place while cooking. i mean if you just want the added protein though, go for it! also, if ya need more, just double, triple, or quadruple the recipe of course.**
1. combine all dry ingredients (coconut flakes, garlic powder, onion powder, parsley, paprika) in a shallow pan big enough for your fillet to lay flat in.
2. add coconut oil to your medium heated no-stick pan.
3. coat the fish in your liquid aminos- use your hands! (remember, a little goes a long way- you don’t need much at all..it’s more for flavoring and ‘salting’ the fish)
4. dip one side of the fish in your dry coating, then flip.
5. drop it in your pan and fry it up! fish cooks super quick..keep your eye on it. 5-7 min on each side, tops.
6. stuff your face.
per 2 oz fillet:
smile and go to bed knowing that when you wake up tomorrow it will be FRIDAAAAAAAY!!!! nite!