i told Sonny to get me outta bed when my alarm went off this morning no matter what. he didn’t, haha, but i got on up anyway and hit it early so i could use the rest of the day cooking for Thanksgiving! speaking of, we have a Thanksgiving Damage Control Challenge going on right now by the way for 1 buck!! check out the details and sign up to keep yourself in check for the big day tomorrow. i did a little arc trainer for my cardio and then one of our 6 Pack USA upper body workouts which targeted chest, biceps, triceps, and a little back. then i went into the group fitness studio for core and stretching and did a few of these:
i admit- i love this Beyoncé video and song. i just do! not a Yonce stan, but definitely a fan.
then i got home and got the boys up and fed before i got cracking on this soup again. yesterday went terribly wrong. bad pics, bad soup color cause i burned the sausage…it was just…wrong. sometimes i want to post anyway and get it off my chest but something kept telling me to WAIT and be still. today turned out loads better. loads.
while i was cooking away, the doorbell rang. i immediately heard a truck engine start which means it was UPS and i had a package, haha! they never wait. ever.
skinny bacon! what? yes please! when it comes to natural and organic meats, Applegate is top-notch. you get what you pay for, guaranteed. Chiso looooved the hot dogs from our welcome-home-from-the-hospital lunch a few months ago! and if you’re a dear reader of mine then you know how picky that guy is. we cracked the bacon open right away for breakfast. it’s:
- applewood smoked
- 60% less fat than regular bacon
- antibiotic, gluten, casein, hormone, and nitrate-FREE
it’s no coincidence the soup calls for *drum roll* bacooooon. i told ya, perfect timing. His timing! anyway, it tastes just like pork belly bacon without all the excess grease and/or oil. let’s give it up for Applegate!
*round of applause*
without further adieu, i present to you, healthified, dairy-free, Zuppa Toscana soup! it’s 2nd place to Olive Garden’s chicken & gnocchi soup in my book. maybe i’ll healthify that one next ;) . the longer you let it sit, the creamier it will become, fyi. i hurriedly took these pics a few minutes after i finished cooking while i still had some good natural light left and it was still a tad thin. a few hours have passed since and the flavors have made their presence known and the texture is just right.
Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana Soup – Healthified
- 1 lb sausage of your choice (see mine below), sliced
- 2 medium red potatoes
- 1/4 cup Applegate uncured Good Morning Bacon, roughly chopped
- 1 can light OR full-fat coconut milk
- 1 large yellow onion, minced
- 1 medium shallot, diced
- 32 oz low sodium chicken broth
- 2 big handfuls of raw, fresh kale
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
couple things: i used light coconut milk. full fat would yield an even thicker, creamier soup of course! i also used spinach & garlic chicken sausage that i found at HEB, but you can use whatever you fancy.
- coat a very large pot with no-stick cooking spray and set it to med-high heat
- brown sliced sausage in pot (3-4 minutes)
- add onion, shallot, potatoes to pot and stir
- add chicken broth ensuring the water cover the top of the veggies/meat
- cook on medium heat until the potatoes are done (about 10-12 minutes…watch it closely)
- add bacon
- add salt & pepper and let simmer for 10 min; taste
- season again if needed then turn heat to low
- add coconut milk and kale (make sure you push the kale into and under the liquid) and stir until well combined
- serve warm and top it with more bacon!
using the My Fitness Pal recipe nutrition calculator i estimate 4 big bowls of soup from this pot. for one 12 oz serving:
285 cals, 10g fat, 28g carbs, 4g sugar and 1299mg sodium
(high sodium because of my sausage choice but that can be altered.)
pure YUMMINESS! make this and tag me! @fitfoodiele
omg. i’m running a 10k tomorrow morning. it’s not like i don’t know how to train for a run, i just don’t want to. lol. and the temperature has dipped early this year at that! man. this time last year i was preggo and complaining about the cold. only difference is i still want to workout (indoors) and no first trimester woes. welp, if you’re out there getting your trot on in Houston, holla at meeeeee! for now…
back to cooking my mom’s famous cornbread dressing! happy TG eve!