this year, my birthday fell on a monday. YIPPEEEEE 😕
so Sonny started celebrating early (like i had hoped). immediately after church service, we went to get our rings cleaned.
i promise we’re only in our thirties. lol. Chiso saw us placing our hands strategically on the display case for this pic and wanted part of the action.
over time, i have come to the realization that i’m a hint thrower. what a lucky guy Sonny is. rarely does one go over his head though, i gotta give it to him. i forwarded him a Ruggles Green brunch email i received a few weeks earlier, you know, randomly. high-five, Sonny. high-five.
so that was our next stop. only the Heights location serves breakfast / brunch in Houston, and i had been eager to check it out for months. i chose the delish crab & avocado omelette and Sonny played it safe with the breakfast plate (sausage, pancakes, eggs, potatoes). Chiso handled up on his turkey sausage, scrambled eggs, and pancakes too. we love us some eggs.
the next day, my actual birthday, Sonny got up and rushed off to work like normal, so i hit the gym early, like normal.
but not before making this gorgeous stack of oatmeal pancakes! with the start of my cooking classes, blogging took a small backseat. obvi. but i believe i have a routine going now with my schedule. *crosses fingers, toes, and eyes*. here’s that recipe:
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Pancakes
the stuff: (source)
- 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup dry rolled oats
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (add more if needed- you be the thickness judge)
- 2 packets granulated stevia
- 1 tbsp agave nectar or honey (optional)
- dash of sea salt
- 1 tbsp melted coconut oil
- handful of dark chocolate chips
- mix all ingredients except chocolate chips together in a large mixing bowl.
- if ya need more almond milk at this point, add it a tbsp at a time.
- heat your griddle or cast iron / no-stick skillet to medium heat and coat with no-stick cooking spray.
- spoon the cakes onto your cooking device as large or as small as you’d like them. when bubbles start to form on top, check the bottom of the cake to see how brown it is first before flipping.
- you’re looking for a golden brown color (bout 2-4 minutes).
- eat’em up. sprinkles are optional but mandatory if it’s your birthday.
or, you can do blueberries instead of chocolate chips!
back to the birthday festivities.
little did i know that Sonny went right down the street to his mom’s house to hide out.
i took a Barbell Strength class and worked my back a little more on my own in addition to some steady-state cardio on the elliptical. suddenly, i got a ‘lunch?’ text from Sonny, so i said ‘screw this!’ and sped home to get cleaned up.
i opened the door and walked right into .. Sonny!?, fit gifts, and cake.
and a birthday song serenade from my boys!
just one small piece before lunch.
Sonny shocked our palettes and drove us to an Indian inspired restaurant in Upper Kirby called Ponidicheri. he didn’t know it was ‘meatless monday’ though lol. tasty nonetheless and i appreciate the experience.
Sonny got an omelette too. They didn’t really have a kids menu, but the guy taking orders suggested this concoction. can you guess which two Chiso ate? yep, the fries and the Elephant Cookie.
i got a birthday nap back at home (YAAAAAY for daytime sleep) and we went back out for dinner that evening. i was actually still full from lunch but went anyway just cause it was my bday and already on the agenda.
my cups runneth over 😯 ! literally and figuratively. we concluded the evening with Italian food and Neapolitan gelato from Sapore Ristorante, right in our own backyard. which was awesome cause i had to be up at 4:15am to teach my class the next day.
i feel like i’m at the age where i forget what i’m even turning and that my birthday is even coming up. thankful to God for another year though, no doubt, and for Sonny’s impeccable planning skills year after year.
THANK YOU to my family and friends for the calls, texts, cards, gifts, and birthday wishes!!!!!!
and thank you for reading.