after a fantastic early morning church service that concentrated on faithfulness to your spouse, i got crackin’ on meal prep right away. i roasted some asparagus (seasoned with Weber Zesty Lemon blend) and some red bell peppers (seasoned with Weber Smoky Mesquite) in the oven on 400 degrees for 17-20 minutes or so. for our protein, i made something i will be making more often, especially for Chiso since he loves’em.
the coating for this recipe stemmed from the Fit Sticks recipe in my first ebook! anytime Chiso eats and asks for more of something homemade i have to shout it from the roof tops!
healthy, whole wheat, tender, baked, HOMEMADE CHICKEN NUGGETS!
i went a lil’ crazy and made them 3 ways: baked nuggets, and pan seared & grilled strips.
the coating can easily be gluten-free if you use gluten-free bread to make your breadcrumbs. i used toasted Sara Lee 45 Calories & Delicious multigrain wheat bread. a few pulses in the food processor and that’s it!
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 + 2 tbsp cup almond meal
- 1/2 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 heaping tbsp of your fave no-salt seasoning (lemon pepper, cajun, bbq, etc)
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp parsley
- sea salt & cracked black pepper to taste
- set oven to 450 degrees.
- cut chicken into desired shapes and coat with olive oil.
- spread a layer of foil across a large baking pan and coat it with no-stick cooking spray.
- add all dry ingredients into a medium mixing bowl; blend well.
- in a large tupperware container with a lid, add in a few raw chicken pieces with a few spoonfuls of breading and SHAKE! (or you could spread out some breading on a plate and dredge the chicken pieces until fully coated but this way was easier and not as messy AND Chiso had fun doing all the shaking :lol: )
- space the nuggets out across your baking sheet and bake for 17-20 minutes. (high heat & 4-5 min on each side if grilling, and 7-10 min on each side if pan searing or until done in the center.)
- let them cool, then whip out the dipping sauces! we used honey mustard, Weber all natural Buzz’n Honey bbq sauce, and dijon mustard.
i know i cut strips with some of my chicken, but i used 4 large breasts total. you can cut at least 40 nuggets alone from 4 breasts though. stats per nugget (using 40 ct):
35 cals, 1g carb, 2g fat, 3g protein
then we had a biggest belly contest! happy sunday family funday!