TJ’s is such a fun specialty store! they walk to the beat of their own drum. i stopped by there yesterday and picked up a few healthy travel snacks ( hellooooo wedding anni #8!) and also some things that looked too interestingly tasty to pass up:
boo-yaaaaah! i exercised a little restraint and didn’t get any chocolate. yet.
- Trader Joe’s Roasted Plantain Chips – one of my guilty pleasures!
- Trader Joe’s Pineapple Salsa – salsa + eggs = 🙂
- Creamy Sun Butter – hey there, portion control! both my boys eat this stuff right off a spoon. it’s basically roasted sunflower seeds. so yummy. it’s nut-free if you or any of your loved ones have nut allergies.
- Trader Joe’s Freeze Dried Raspberries – so i picked up every single pack of freeze-dried fruit they had and the raspberries had the lowest amount of sugar per serving @ 12 grams. the serving size is one whole bag though and how about that fiber count– 11 grams per serving!
- Trader Joe’s Wild King Salmon Jerky – high protein, non-refrigerated snack. turkey jerky is great too.
- Organic Sriracha Ranch Dressing – i knew my hubby would FLIP once he saw this! two of his fave things combined in one.
- Coconut Oil Spray & Olive Oil Spray – i don’t normally use oil to cook, so these are perfect.
healthy eating travel tips:
- a lil’ planning goes a long way.
- never let yourself get too hungry between meals! keeping snacks on you saves money and keeps your hunger attitude at bay.
- they never give you enough snacks on the plane anyway!
- are you even hungry…. or just thirsty? guzzle your water every chance you get.
- protein rich, non-refrigerated, and/or nutrient rich snacks that won’t leak or get smashed in your bags are best. examples:
- low sodium turkey, salmon, beef jerky
- roasted, unsalted raw mixed nuts (cashews, almonds, pistachios, walnuts)
- single serving nut butter packets
- Modern Oats for a healthy breakfast
- fresh or freeze-dried fruit (apples, bananas, raisins, avocados, halos),
- raw veggies (carrots, red bell pepper, broccoli)
- rice cakes
- Quest Bars
- Stevia packets
- Magic Pop
- whole grain, air popped popcorn
- take a cooler bag (or actual cooler) for refrigerated snacks like:
- babybel / string cheese
- unsweetened applesauce
- pre-cut fruit
- hummus/pretzel combo single serving
- greek yogurt
found some new mustard i’m lovin’ on! they are from HEB and were 2 for 3 bucks. the whole grain one is DELISH on top of fish.
so i made some for dinner! fresh steel head trout was on sale as well and came home with us. i used South African Smoke seasoning & coconut aminos from Trader Joe’s on it, and i bake it the same way i bake salmon– high heat (450 degrees) @ 5-7 min per lb.
someone missed their first official day of school! my hubby is very proud of the fact that he had perfect attendance from preschool through high school. crazy!! anyway, apparently there’s a stomach virus going around that got the best of him. we sure do miss the Sprout channel’s Summer Family Movie Night, but we watched his fave shows while he ate Trader Joe’s (how many times can you say Trader Joe’s in one post :D) turkey corn dogs, Go-Go Squeeze applesauce, and strawberry magic pop on the couch. enjoy your friday night too, fit friends!